Bancroft is on the line of the Roman road from St Albans to Sandy.
The origin of the name 'Bancroft' is that it was a 'bean field'. A survey of 1557 refers to 'the bean market'. Until the beginning of the last century, there was a sheep and cattle market where the road widens, just up from us. Old maps show that the buildings which line Bancroft were probably once large houses, many with substantial yards and outbuildings behind them.
Our part of Bancroft now seems to be home to architects, surveyors, solicitors and accountants, so we have good company. We don't know the precise history of Bancroft House, but suspect that it was a wealthy merchant's house.
John thinks that it was originally a timber framed building that was clad with brick in a Georgian style to reflect the owner's prestige. Certainly it has very substantial roof timbers and many of the internal doorways are only 5'9'' high. So our ancestors really were much shorter! Of course it has been extended to the rear, but still retains its domestic scale and charm.
It has now been home to Leading Edge for over nine years.
Our registered office address
52, High Street
Registration Number – 2900495
VAT Number – 639 9196 80
back to top | home